Dr Tamara Stephens Bio
Dr. Stephens graduated from University of the Witwatersrand in 2001 with a Bachelors Degree in Medicine and Surgery and at the end of her internship and community service left South Africa to gain further experience in the United Kingdom. Here she secured a emergency care post through the South West rotation at Southampton General Hospital and gained 4 years of first class emergency medicine experience during her time there. After returning to SA in 2008 she joined an emergency medicine practice as senior partner, who’s partnership was responsible for the management of the trauma and emergency centres at Life Healthcare’s Flora Hospital, Busamed’s Modderfontein, Harrismith, Gateway and Paardevlei Private Hospitals, from year 2009 until 2018.
At present Dr Stephens sits on the Council of Emergency Medicine as the Diplomat and previously as the Senate representative for the College of Emergency Medicine South Africa. Here she forms an integral part of the examination body responsible for setting the exams for the College of Medicine’s Diploma in Emergency Medicine. Other roles include the accreditation process of authorising hospitals involved in the training of candidates for these diploma exams and together with South Africa’s Emergency Medicine Universities Academic Heads of Departments, contribute to discussing biannually the academic and clinical advances in emergency medicine in South Africa. She has been re-elected to sit a further 3 years as the diplomat representative from year 2018-2020.
Training & Courses
She has completed the following postgraduate courses:
- Bachelors Degree in Medicine and Surgery through the University of the Witwatersrand South Africa 2001
- Diploma in Emergency Medicine through the College of Medicine South Africa 2009 (DipPEC)
- Membership exams through the Royal College of Emergency Medicine UK 2006 (MCEM Part 1)
- Advanced Life Support Courses including: Advanced Airway Management (AIMES), Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS/ EP-ACLS), Advanced Paediatric Life Support (PALS), Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS), Advanced Neonatal Resuscitation (Neonatal resus) and Advanced ECG analysis.
- She is an Advanced Trauma Life Support Instructor for the American College of Surgeons
- She is currently in the process of writing her Diploma in Ketogenic Nutrition through the United Kingdom’s Centre of Excellence accredited through the Complimentary Medical Association (CMA) of the UK.